A legitimation may be petitioned for by the natural, or biological, father of a child for the purpose of recognizing the child as his own. The natural, or biological, mother of the child must consent to the legitimation. Legitimation is not possible where there is a named father listed on the birth certificate or in cases where the birth certificate indicates that the mother refused to name the father. The legitimation form does not require an attorney to file; however, you may choose to consult an attorney as the court is not allowed to assist you in completing the form.

View Legitimation Packet (PDF)
Packet includes:
  • Instructions for Legitimation
  • Declaration of Legitimation
  • Waiver, Declaration and Consent of Mother
  • Consent of Minor
  • HS-18 Information Sheet
  1. This information page, which is based on Alabama law, is to inform and not to advise. No person should ever apply or interpret any law without the aid of a lawyer who analyzes the facts, because the facts may change the application of the law.