Instructions for Lost or Stolen Credentials
Form MV 40-12-265-1 is used to request a replacement license plate, replacement validation decal issued by the Shelby County License Department. This form should not be used to record a change of ownership, change of address, or change of license plate classification.
- REGISTRANT INFORMATION- complete the registrant information as it appears on your registration receipt. The street address block should contain the PHYSICAL address of the registrant. If different from the registration receipt, a current utility bill (in the registrant’s name) should accompany the attached form.
- VEHICLE INFORMATION- complete the vehicle information for which the replacement credentials are requested.
- REPLACEMENT CREDENTIALS REQUESTED- check the appropriate box. Replacement license plates and year decals are $2.00 each. A $2.00 mail fee will also apply to each registration requested.
- FOR REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION RECEIPT – Log into license.shelbyal.com, go to “Create an Account”. Once created log in to your account. From that point you should be able to order your last two years registration receipts FREE OF CHARGE.
- REASON FOR REPLACEMENT-
- License plates or decals may be replaced if lost in the mail.
- The license plate is surrendered due to mutilation.
Mutilated license plates must be surrendered by the vehicle owner to the nearest Shelby County license office.
A personalized license plate bearing the same message may not be replaced until the current registration period has expired.